Calgary Stampede – Western Showcase 2018 / Part 1

14 Jul

Rose and I go to the Calgary Stampede every year just to look at the Western Art – which is spectacular. This year it is particularly superb. So much so that I thought I’d try to profile a few Artists and taste of their work. I can’t show everything of course, but I think you’ll be impressed by what you see.

In no particular order:

I also apologize to the Artists if my rendering here diminishes their work in any way.

Shannon Ford

Shannon Ford, Bachelor of Fine Art (ACAD) / Brief Biography – 2014 / Artist Info:

“A natural born artist and an animal lover since childhood, Shannon Ford was born in Regina Saskatchewan, totally enchanted by the natural world.  She was raised on a farm west of Calgary where she grew up loving Art and knowing horses, cattle and wildlife.

Shannon paints in both her Studios in Alberta, and in BC where she and her sweetheart Denis breed Mangalarga Marchador horses …

Shannon creates in a wide range of topic matter and media, but I confess I love her Western paintings the best.
Marvelous work Shannon!

Into a Canter on a Young Horse available through Gainsborough Galleries, Calgary, Alberta

Mystiques Shariff of the Fairview Arabian Stud, 84 X 72, Acrylic on Canvas with Diamond Dust,
Pipestone, Rainbow Moonstone Cabochons, Mother of Pearl, Available at The Lloyd Gallery

Collected Painting: Gorgeous Grizzly
60 X 40 D. A/C with Azurite, Tanzanite, Sapphires, Peridot, Pipestone

No automatic alt text available.

Darcy Presiloski / Calgary Western Artist

dpresiloski@shaw.ca
www.dpresiloski.com

“Darcy was born in Alberta, Canada and spent her early childhood on a farm west of Granum in southern Alberta.

With Darcy’s farm background it is not surprising that her primary focus is western art. She finds inspiration at brandings, cattle drives, rodeos and sometimes in a field at the side of the highway. She sees the animals, everyday activities and gear of the working cowboy as unique and feels there is a story in every painting …”

Related image

ENOUGH ROPE
Oil on Linen

WOOLY BULLY
Oil on Linen

PAINT
Oil on Linen

Image result for darcy presiloski artist

Wonderful work Darcy. I particularly like your rendering of the saddle and gear!

Andrew Kiss / Award Winning Nature Artist

Famed for his magnificent landscapes, Andrew also renders spectacular images of flowers.

MORRAINE SUNSET
40 X 60
Oil on canvas

HOLLYHOCK II
Original Oil on Canvas

SHADED STREAM
Giclee on Canvas

Just Beautiful

A few more on the way …

6 Responses to “Calgary Stampede – Western Showcase 2018 / Part 1”

1. Don Ostertag July 14, 2018 at 6:40 am #

Beautiful, but like you,Shannon Ford is my favorite.

2. jcalberta July 14, 2018 at 9:21 am #

Such a lot of great art there. I have over 20-Artists I want to profile. Wish I could do work like that.

3. Cindy Bruchman July 14, 2018 at 9:37 am #

Excellent post, JC. I like all the art featured but I suppose the one artistic style that resonates the most is Andrew’s work. Love the Moraine Lake painting.

• jcalberta July 14, 2018 at 3:10 pm #

He has several landscapes with that unique style. I suppose I should post the sizes too because they are fairly large. ]
      Yeah I love that too.

4. Marilyn Armstrong July 14, 2018 at 11:35 am #

Always wanted to attend that event. Don’t think it’ll happen — the wrong side of the continent, but I love your write-ups!

• jcalberta July 14, 2018 at 3:22 pm #

If you’ve never been to the Stampede before I’d say it’s a worthy experience.
      Strangely, most Calgarians are a bit jaundiced about it, I myself used to take my holidays during stampede and leave town. But it has some good things.
      I don’t partake of the Rodeo itself though. I do watch the highlights on TV and recognize that the cowboys – and horses – as very good athletes. In recent times there is a lot of controversy from Animal Rights people, who would probably like to shut the whole thing down.
      At one time they used to bring in major music acts, but I haven’t really seen any recently. ???