My Favorite Westerns

A Celebration of Western Movies … Pardner!

chuck berry

Calling all Seadogs !

According to Wiktionary:

A landlubber is a nautical, pejorative for someone unfamiliar with the sea or seamanship, especially a novice seaman.

That would be me.

The other day Brian sent me the following note in connection with a post I had made entitled Bluenose II … Back to Sea again! back on July 15, 2015.

“That last picture is not the Bluenose. The Bluenose is a 2 masted schooner the last picture clearly has 3 masts. Just thought you should know.”

Below is the offending image which I initially posted as Bluenose II.

Tweren’t tho.

Notice the 3 masts?
I didn’t.

The image below is the original 2 masted Bluenose.

I hope you can see how I could get fooled!!?? said the landlubber.
So I replaced the wrong Bluenose II image with this one (below)
which claims to be the original Bluenose II
Nice.

Wiktionary says: A Seadog is a sailor accustomed to the sea.

Thanks Brian!

You must be an old seadog. I woulda bet 40 farthings
and a gold Bluenose coin on my original image.
But you spotted it.

11 thoughts on “Calling all Seadogs !

1. It’s not often you see a three masted schooner. She looks fast.

1. jcalberta says:

Yes. I hope somebody can ID her. I know little about ships, so I’m even wondering if a 3 masted ship still called a schooner?

1. I don’t know. She’s a beauty, though.

2. maui1 says:

I really like the black and white picture of the blue nose on this post.

Quinn

1. jcalberta says:

Hi Quinn. There’s some spectacular photos of the Bluenose, but I still wish there were more.

3. It can be difficult to identify these ships. There are usually several very similar boats, often built around the same time by the same builders. Even in the harbor, i have to see the actual name on the ship to be sure … and sometimes, if the ship has been renamed, even that isn’t enough. It’s a beautiful sailing ship and probably pretty fast with all the sails up. She looks relatively new, but you cant’ always tell.

1. jcalberta says:

She’s a beauty eh! ! I wouldn’t turn down a sail on that ship.
      Bluenose can usually be identified by it’s crooked bow, but I just figured it was just obscured by the water.

4. It’s not the number of masts.

The schooner is (nautical) a sailing ship with two or MORE masts, all with fore-and-aft sails; if two masted, having a foremast and a mainmast.

After that, it can be a yawl or a ketch, and that has to do with which sail is taller or shorter.

I NEVER remember which said is which. I always try, but I never get it.

1. jcalberta says:

Ah ! My Dad would have known. He loved the old ships and made a few models.

5. Jonathan Magoon says:

The three master is the 185ft schooner Atlantic. Held the transatlantic record for 75years.

1. jcalberta says:

Thank you very kindly for that information Jonathan. I would never have discovered that.