Calling all Seadogs !

19 Mar

chuck berry

Calling all Seadogs !

According to Wiktionary:

A landlubber is a nautical, pejorative for someone unfamiliar with the sea or seamanship, especially a novice seaman.

That would be me.

The other day Brian sent me the following note in connection with a post I had made entitled Bluenose II … Back to Sea again! back on July 15, 2015.

“That last picture is not the Bluenose. The Bluenose is a 2 masted schooner the last picture clearly has 3 masts. Just thought you should know.”

Below is the offending image which I initially posted as Bluenose II.

Tweren’t tho.

Notice the 3 masts?
I didn’t.

The image below is the original 2 masted Bluenose.

I hope you can see how I could get fooled!!?? said the landlubber.
So I replaced the wrong Bluenose II image with this one (below)
which claims to be the original Bluenose II
Nice.

Wiktionary says: A Seadog is a sailor accustomed to the sea.

Thanks Brian!

You must be an old seadog. I woulda bet 40 farthings
and a gold Bluenose coin on my original image.
But you spotted it.

9 Responses to “Calling all Seadogs !”

1. Cindy Bruchman March 20, 2017 at 9:00 am #

It’s not often you see a three masted schooner. She looks fast.

• jcalberta March 20, 2017 at 6:06 pm #

Yes. I hope somebody can ID her. I know little about ships, so I’m even wondering if a 3 masted ship still called a schooner?

• Cindy Bruchman March 21, 2017 at 6:22 am #

I don’t know. She’s a beauty, though.

2. maui1 March 20, 2017 at 9:57 pm #

I really like the black and white picture of the blue nose on this post.

Quinn

• jcalberta March 21, 2017 at 12:51 am #

Hi Quinn. There’s some spectacular photos of the Bluenose, but I still wish there were more.

3. Marilyn Armstrong March 21, 2017 at 3:05 pm #

It can be difficult to identify these ships. There are usually several very similar boats, often built around the same time by the same builders. Even in the harbor, i have to see the actual name on the ship to be sure … and sometimes, if the ship has been renamed, even that isn’t enough. It’s a beautiful sailing ship and probably pretty fast with all the sails up. She looks relatively new, but you cant’ always tell.

• jcalberta March 21, 2017 at 8:48 pm #

She’s a beauty eh! ! I wouldn’t turn down a sail on that ship.
      Bluenose can usually be identified by it’s crooked bow, but I just figured it was just obscured by the water.

4. Marilyn Armstrong March 21, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

It’s not the number of masts.

The schooner is (nautical) a sailing ship with two or MORE masts, all with fore-and-aft sails; if two masted, having a foremast and a mainmast.

After that, it can be a yawl or a ketch, and that has to do with which sail is taller or shorter.

I NEVER remember which said is which. I always try, but I never get it.

• jcalberta March 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

Ah ! My Dad would have known. He loved the old ships and made a few models.