Punta Cana Cowboys / Day Trip to Santo Domingo 4

Catedral Primada de America

Catedral Primada de America 2

Catedral Primada de America – Plaza Entrance

Catedral Primada de America gate

Heading around to other Entrance … some Saint guards the gate

Catedral Primada de America 3

The other entrance … not as impressive

Catedral Primada de America 4

Even the Church looks like a fort – for good reason. In 1586 Sir Francis Drake of England pillaged and burned the city, which survived only to be invaded by the French and Haitians. Drake lived in the Church for 25 days they say.

Catedral Primada de America 5

Statue of Arzobispo Meriño. I could not discover who he was, but he’s got a statue.

Catedral Primada de America 5b

Catedral Primada de America 6

Crowding in …

Catedral Primada de America 7

Catedral Primada de America 8

But inside is impressive

Catedral Primada de America 9

Vaulted Gothic ceiling

Catedral Primada de America 10

Catedral Primada de America 11

Catedral Primada de America 11b

Catedral Primada de America 12

Catedral Primada de America 13

Catedral Primada de America 14

I like Churches. They have Altars.
And I can thank God for my many blessings.

galleon bar

Though I can do that anywhere.

6 Responses to “Punta Cana Cowboys / Day Trip to Santo Domingo 4”

1. Quinn M April 24, 2016 at 7:47 pm #

Very good post and pictures on downtown Santo Domingo.
    What is your next stop after the church stop?

Quinn M

• jcalberta April 24, 2016 at 7:51 pm #

Howdy !
      I have one more post of the Church … took a lot of pics in there … then walked around downtown a bit … then a ride on a tram around the downtown … then on to Columbus’s House. We took over 1000 pics during the week.

2. maui1 April 24, 2016 at 7:50 pm #

Very good pictures and post on Downtown Santo Domingo.
    Very nice pictures of the Church.
    What is the next stop after the church on the tour ?

Quinn M

• jcalberta June 23, 2016 at 9:24 am #

Quinn !

Very sorry I missed your comment. I’ve been having some issues with my net for quite a while.
      After the Church (I guess you know by now!!) we went for a ride on the little train around the downtown.
      Then for a bit of a walk near the Plaza.
      After that we headed to Columbus House.
      Took lots of pics – was an eventful Day Trip – even though there was a ton of things we didn’t have time to see.
      I have a couple posts on our trip – then I’m done.
      Was a great time.

3. Marilyn Armstrong April 25, 2016 at 9:02 am #

Many of the oldest churches in the world … In Israel, for example … were built as fortresses. Christianity was a very young religion and there was a lot of strife between Christian sects and non-Christian v Christian sects. One of the most interesting things about the construction there is that in addition to having very thick walls, they have very small entrances to slow attackers. Anyone entering the church had to crouch very low … something that would certainly slow attackers. I’m pretty sure that through Europe and the middle east, through the Renaissance, churches and cathedrals were where an entire town could take refuge. It was probably the only big building in the town, large and strong enough! I love old churches. The Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem was always my favorite.

• jcalberta April 25, 2016 at 9:40 am #

Ah, I see. This place could take a few shots, that’s for sure. Lots of these churches/cathedrals had some good loot/gold too I bet. Thank you Marilyn.