Richard Harris / Cowboy – A Man Called Horse – Part 1

28 Jan

A Man Called Horse / 1970

“The Sioux gave him a choice, live like an animal
or die like one.”

“A man called “Horse” became an Indian warrior
in the most electrifying rituals ever seen.”

buffalo bar

Five years after Major Dundee, Harris appeared in his second Western: A Man Called Horse. This time he was at the top of the Bill – and Starring in one of the most controversial Westerns ever made – and of which, much of that controversy is still intact and relevant – over 45 years later.

But first let’s look at some media:

A Man Called Horse image 1
A Man Called Horse poster 1 A Man Called Horse poster 2 A Man Called Horse poster 3 A Man Called Horse poster 4 A Man Called Horse poster 5 A Man Called Horse poster 6 A Man Called Horse poster 7 A Man Called Horse poster 8 A Man Called Horse poster 9 A Man Called Horse poster 11 A Man Called Horse poster 12 A Man Called Horse poster 13

Impressive images.
Several depict one of the films controversial features:
The very graphic Native American initiation ceremony –
Hard to watch even to this day.

buffalo bar

Lost Prairie

6 Responses to “Richard Harris / Cowboy – A Man Called Horse – Part 1”

1. Rick January 28, 2016 at 8:00 am #

When I describe the Sun Dance to my classes, they tend to cringe.

2. jcalberta January 28, 2016 at 9:37 am #

There were members of that tribes that practice this ceremony considered the revealing of this rite to be sacrilegious. It had been a secret rite ceremony. I wonder if it’s portrayed properly of accurately? In any event, it’s a safe bet we don’t understand it. However, Initiation Rites of certain cultures often seem to involve pain or painful tests of some kind. ? Walking on fire – painful body modifications. Not sure why? Passing it over to you.

3. Don Ostertag January 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm #

Like you say, hard to watch even today. I never did watch it. Did work quite a big with Richard Harris when he would come through with CAMELOT. And I worked with Jean Gascon, who played Batise. I got a post upcoming about Richard’s temper.

• jcalberta January 28, 2016 at 11:32 pm #

Hi Don. I’m going to watch it again right away. I bet it’s better than I recall. “Man in the Wilderness” was. I wished I’d met Harris. I worked as a set painter on Eastwood’s “Unforgiven”, but met none of the actors. I was always working at another location. I love Camelot. Grew up the music. My parents were great fans of the musicals and we had all the records and saw all the Musical films. I look forward to you post on Harris.

4. Marilyn Armstrong January 29, 2016 at 10:02 pm #

I didn’t much care for the movie. I did like the book. Maybe that’s why I didn’t like the movie.

• jcalberta January 29, 2016 at 11:13 pm #

Don’t know about the book. I do have the original short story – which I will post. I’m going to re-watch the movie. I don’t think it will be perfect, but I anticipate there will be merit.