Sedona Trip 2013 … Day 1

24 May

Sedona Trip 2013 – Day 1

We flew into Phoenix from Calgary … was an uncomfortable flight. Felt cramped in that seat and had no leg room.

Rented a car … drove to Yuma. Slept for about 10 hours.

Transition Time

I’m now in the process of switching over to a day shift routine after working 12 hour night shifts for 4 years. I’ve arrived at the conclusion that night shift work is completely unnatural for human beings – who have been doing the exact opposite for thousands of years. I’ve read research that states that night shift workers have 70% more health issues than people doing the exact same work in day shift. I believe it. My health deteriorated immediately after I started night shift and I could never adjust to it. I could neve get enough rest and my fitness declined radically. Gradually this effected me emotionally and psychologically – making me depressed and angry. Ultimately I had no choice but to quit. So now I’m in a recovery period. I don’t know how long it will take to lose the 60 pounds I gained. Worse yet, the company I worked for offered no pay adjustment or compensation for night work – as many companies do. They don’t care about their people.

I’m just glad to be the hell outta there.

Worse yet …

So … today (Friday May 24) I went to the dentist across the border in Algodones, Mexico. I had tried to prepare myself for the ‘worse case scenario” – that more work would need to be done and it would take longer that I hoped.

Worse yet …

The treatment was very painful … 2 hours of drilling around the bone where the implants go. I needed extra needles of painkiller. Then I was told that it will require extra work and more time and it still won’t be completed. We will have to stay here 3 days instead of 2 and cut our Sedona trip short by another day in order come back here again before we leave. Very disappointing … and more expensive.

There is little joy.

Yet when I see the tornado disaster on TV, I count my blessings. Sometimes I am just happy to be alive.

Tonight we’ll take my swollen and bruised face over to the local theatre and watch the new Star Trek movie.

Make it so.

7 Responses to “Sedona Trip 2013 … Day 1”

1. cindybruchman May 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Sorry you are in pain and all that….Welcome to Sedona! May I recommend you try hiking Fay Canyon. It’s easy, free, and lovely.
    Enjoy your stay!

• jcalberta May 25, 2013 at 7:39 am #

NOW ! … that is the kind of useful (and kind) advice i need. i really don’t know most of what can be done around Sedona – even though I’ve been there 4 times. Thank U ! very nice job on your blog.

• cindybruchman May 25, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Thanks for the kind words and have some fun. Sounds like you could use it. Cheers!

2. DOUG Clayton May 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

At least you still have teeth you could look like stumpy in the show Rio Bravo!

• jcalberta May 25, 2013 at 7:52 am #

Hi Doug. I bet U know Arizona a lot better than I do. I’m off to Scotsdale today – what’s up that way?
      “Stumpy” ??! (Walter Brennan !) I’m not far away I tell ya. Sometimes I just wished i had some of his dynamite and I’d just blow the rest of my teeth out. And you know what? i gotta do a piece on Walter Brennan some time. Quite a guy.

3. Teepee12 May 24, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

No, they don’t care. It’s all about the bottom line. I’ve lost a lot of teeth. Medicare doesn’t consider teeth essential. Eyes and teeth are considered cosmetic. Nice, eh?

• jcalberta May 25, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Fortunately, i still have the time and opportunity to recover myself. – if not the money. The pain is fearful … but temporary. I hope.