My Favorite Westerns

A Celebration of Western Movies … Pardner!

Honoree Wes Studi speaks during the press conference before the Western Heritage Awards at the National Cowboy  & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Saturday, April 20, 2013. Studi is being inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers. Photo by Nate Billings, The Oklahoman

Honoree Wes Studi speaks during the press conference before the Western Heritage Awards at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Saturday, April 20, 2013. Studi is being inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers. Photo by Nate Billings, The Oklahoman http://newsok.com/gallery/articleid/3791595/pictures/2022838
Wes Studi - The Last of the Mohicans
The Last or the Mohicans
Wes Studi

Wes Studi

Geronimo - An American Legend 2

Geronimo – An American Legend

Geronimo - An American Legend

Geronimo – An American Legend

Wes Studi - Avatar

Wes Studi – Avatar

Wes Studi - Dances with Wolves

Wes Studi – Dances with Wolves

14 thoughts on “Wes Studi Honored: Western Heritage Awards Salute

1. Teepee12 says:

I’ve seen him so many times and didn’t know his name. Nice to see a Native playing a Native. How rare.

2. Teepee12 says:

Reblogged this on SERENDIPITY and commented:
    Well-deserved honor.

1. Cherrie says:

Wes also played a detective in the Tony Hillerman Series on PBS. Directed my Chris Eyre and executive producer Robert Redford.

1. jcalberta says:

He’s done quite a bit of TV work. Recently in Hell on Wheels, As you say, he’s successfully broken out of being strictly cast as a Native in Westerns and has roles in several other projects.

2. jcalberta says:

Thank you very kindly. I much appreciate it.

3. I love Wes Studi and have admired him for years. Remember him in Dances with Wolves?

1. jcalberta says:

Yes, I do remember that! Pawnee warrior.
      Wished his part had been bigger.

4. oops, and he was great in the HBO “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee”

1. jcalberta says:

i’m negligent in not listing all his worthy work. I intend to do a full bio of Studi in the future.

1. garryarmstrong says:

Congratulations to Mr. Studi who — as others have observed — has proven himself to be a most versatile actor. That’s a major accomplishment in itself.

5. Ben says:

Wes Studi is one of those rare actors who can draw you into any role he plays..,bad guy. or good guy. He’s like a native American Walter Mathau. I tend to follow the character actors more than the leads anyway.

1. jcalberta says:

Good points Ben. Studi is a powerful actor – has a strong screen presence. Makes him a menacing Bad Guy.
      Walter was a fine actor too, wasn’t he. Liked him Charlie Varrick especially. Not everybody gets to “fox the compass.”

6. Elizabeth Mehan Calter says:

very informative.

1. jcalberta says:

You’re right. It’s not very good. He deserves much better.
      Haven’t seen Wes lately, but he’s constantly working with a number of projects coming out soon. Looking forward to some of that.
      I’ll be better in the future. I’ll have a look at putting together a bit of a preview of that what he’s working on – if it’s Western related.