My Darling Clementine (1946) … Masterpiece

11 Oct

In my study of Journalism, Graphic Design and Fine Arts, I learned a simple lesson: “Keep your mouth shut and let the pictures do the talking.”

These ‘stills’ from My Darling Clementine speak loudly. My Darling Clementine probably contains more ‘Iconic Images’ than any other Western ever made. These are just a few:

My Darling Clementine / Fonda

My Darling Clementine / Walter Brennan

My Darling Clementine / Walter Brennan

My Darling Clementine / Vista

My Darling Clementine / Adios

My Darling Clementine / Farewell

My Darling Clementine

7 Responses to “My Darling Clementine (1946) … Masterpiece”

1. Teepee12 October 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

Reblogged this on Serendipity and commented:
    One of Garry’s favorites. Not exactly accurate, but beautiful.

2. Teepee12 October 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

You have superb taste in Westerns!

• jcalberta October 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Thank you so kindly ! That means a lot to me.

3. Garry Armstrong October 12, 2012 at 11:40 am #

This is actually take 2 in my “Clementine” responses. It is a great example of John Ford’s ironic “Print The Legend” ethos. I KNOW that’s NOT the way it happened — even give or take a lie or two. But this — Henry Fonda’s first film after returning from active duty in WW II — is an exquisitely made western. A primer in film study classes. Among the many wonderful, almost lyrical scenes: Fonda slowly walking Clementine (Cathy Downs) across the street to the church social to the strains of “Shall We Gather By The River” (A Ford staple). I usually play this scene two or three times on every viewing. It’s film POETRY!!! Also, Fonda — rocking in his chair outside the barbershop and smelling of honeysuckle “perfume”. The laconic exchanges between Fonda, Tim Holt and Ward Bond about the “Honeysuckle scent from home” is pure Ford small moment magic. Not accurate? True. But still one of the best westerns ever, Pilgrim!!!

• jcalberta October 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

You know your Westerns pardner … better than I do.
      When I first saw My Darling Clementine as a kid I liked it for sure … but most of what makes it such a wonder went way over my head. It’s – as you say – brilliant film making.
      Even after Stagecoach some people didn’t want to take Westerns seriously. But after ‘Clementine’ they had no choice.
      It was not JUST a great Western – it was a great movie.

4. jcalberta November 1, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks Amigo. Just reviewing by blog and addressing all the things I didn’t see.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks